Math 116: Chapter 4 Study Guide
- Match the exponential function with its graph. Eight parts. Look at problems 4.1.23 - 4.1.30
- Match the logarithmic function with its graph. Nine parts. Look at problems 4.2.45 - 4.5.50
- Match the function with its graph. Nine parts. Look at problems 4.5.1 - 4.5.6
- Simplify the expressions without the use of a calculator. Nine parts. Look at problems 4.3.67
- 4.3.79, 4.4.21 - 4.4.25
- Solve for x without the use of a calculator. Two parts. Look at problems 4.4.11-16.
- Write the expression as a sum, difference, and/or constant multiple of logarithms and simplify
(if possible). Three parts. Look at problems 4.3.19 - 4.3.38.
- Write the expression as the logarithm of a single quantity. Three parts. Look at problems
4.3.41 - 4.3.54.
- Solve the exponential and logarithmic equations. Give an exact answer. The problems have
been designed so the answers can be found without a calculator. Five parts. Look at
problems 4.4.27 - 4.4.33, 4.4.39 - 4.4.49, 4.4.55 - 4.4.59, 4.4.65 - 4.4.75.
- No calculators allowed on the in-class portion of the exam.
- None of the problems on the test are straight from the text, but should be similar to the
problems in the text.
- There is none of 4.6 on the in-class test.
- There is a take-home portion of the exam worth 25 points and is due the class period after the