Math 116: Study Guide - Chapter 5
There is a mistake on 3b on the test. Disregard the
graph and answer the questions based on the functions given. The graph
does not go with the functions.
- Solve the system of equations by the method of substitution. One linear system, one non-linear system. Look at problems 5.1.15-28, 41-42, 49-50.
- Find the system of linear equations that has the given solution. There is more than one
possible solution. One part has an ordered pair, the other part has an ordered triplet.
Look at problems 5.2.57-60, 5.3.41-44.
- Use a graphing calculator to approximate all points of intersection of the graph of the
system of equations. One system involving transcendental functions, one non-linear
system. Look at problems 5.1.37-50.
- Use back substitution to find the solution to the system of equations. Look at problems
- Find the equation of a parabola passing through three points. The model y=ax2 + bx + c
is given. Write a system of linear equations that can be used to find the equation of the
parabola, solve the system of equations, then write the equation of the parabola. Look at
- Sketch the graph of the inequality. Look at problems 5.4.9-20.
- Sketch the graph of the solution of the system of inequalities. Look at problems 5.4.39-50.
- Solve the system of equations by the method of elimination. Two parts. Look at
- Solve the system of linear equations. Show your work. One is a three by three system of
linear equations, the other is a two by three system of linear equations. Look at problems
Points for each problem
- In #1 and #8, you are instructed to use a specific method to solve the system of equations.
If you are unable to use that method, go ahead and use a different method to solve it and
get some partial credit for the problem.
- Show work on all problems except where otherwise indicated.
- There is a take home exam for this chapter worth 30 points. It is due the day of the exam.