Math 113 Study Guide - Chapters 1 & 2
- Provide the term best defined. 10 parts. The definition is provided, you need to give the term.
Look at the vocabulary list at the end of each chapter. There is a glossary in Appendix C
- Identify the level of measurement as nominal, ordinal, interval, or ratio. 4 parts.
- Identify the type of sampling used as random, systematic, cluster, stratified, or convenience. 5
- Multiple choice: Know the characteristics of the sample mean.
- Multiple choice: Know the characteristics of the sample variance.
- Multiple choice: Be able to identify examples of abuses of statistics.
- Understand deviation (read the story about the Jefferson Valley Bank and the Bank of
Providence in section 2.5) and the relationship between median and mean and the affect of
skewed data on them.
- Given the mean, median, range, variance, and standard deviation, find the new values after a
value is added to and multiplied by the data. This material comes from the lab exercises. 3
- Given data, use your calculator to find the mean, median, standard deviation, and variance.
Create a stem and leaf plot of the data. 5 parts.
- Given data, create a frequency table. Find the mean and standard deviation of the grouped
data. 3 parts.
Question 10 may be worked in groups of up to three people.
This exam is worth 75 points. There is a take home exam to be done using your calculator,
Statdisk, or other technology worth 25 points.