Math 116: Study Guide - Chapter 6
- Write the order of the matrix
- Write the system of linear equations as an augmented matrix
- Solve the system of linear equations using Gauss Jordan elimination
- Solve the system of linear equations using Cramer's Rule
- Given two 2x2 matrices A and B, find: A + B, 3A, AB, A squared, A inverse, the determinant
of A. Also evaluate a function, f(A).
- Use a determinant to find the equation of a line passing through the given points.
- True or False - 5 parts. You should definitely know about commutativity and division of both
scalars and matrices.
- Some statements are given. You must decide if performing those operations will return an
equivalent matrix. Four parts.
- Solve the matrix equations for X. Three parts.
- Multiply two matrices together.
- Solve a system linear equations using Gauss Jordan Elimination. Directly from the text in 6.1,
- NO CALCULATORS on the in-class portion.
- The in-class portion is worth 60 points.
- There is a take-home portion designed to be used done with the calculator.
- The take-home portion is worth 40 points and will be due the day of the in-class exam.
- Show work where necessary. Parts of problem 5 are so simple that you could do the work in
- Make sure you use the proper technique (Gauss-Jordan or Cramer's Rule). You will miss half
the points if you use the wrong technique.
Error on Take Home
There is a mistake on problem 7 for the "Male with last names N-Z" on the
take home exam. The "3" in the first position of the third row of the
message should be a "73" instead.