Math 121 - Exam 1 Study Guide
- Evaluate the combination and composition of functions given in table form. Four parts. Look
at problem 1.4.53
- Find the natural domain of the function algebraically. Two parts. Look at problems 1.2.3-5
- Express the function in piecewise form without absolute values. Look at problems 1.2.13
- Find the angle of inclination of the line to the nearest degree. Look at problems 1.5.12-13
- Identify each function as odd, even, or neither. Two parts. Look at problem 1.4.69
- Identify the translation and the new domain and range for each function. Seven parts. Look at
the example in class from the left front board
- Simplify trigonometric functions. Six parts. Look at problem 1.6.35
- Sketch the graph of the function by making appropriate transformations to the graph of a basic
power function. Two parts. Look at problems 1.6.17-19
- Find parametric equations for the curve. Look at problems 1.7.13-17
- Sketch the curve by eliminating the parameter and indicate the direction of increasing t. Two
parts. Look at problems 1.7.3-12 all*
- Find the equation of the line perpendicular to the given line and passing through a given point.
Look at problem 1.5.19-20
- Find the dimensions of a solid that minimize the surface area. Look at problem 1.1.11. The
geometric formulas necessary are given on the test.
- Application problem involving linear models. Look at problems 1.5.33-37*
- *'d problems are directly from the textbook. If the problem is not *'d, then it is similar to, but
not identical to, a problem from the text.