Math 117 - Chapter 5 Study Guide
- Find the vertex, focus, and directrix for a parabola. Then draw the graph. Look at problems
- Find the center, vertices, and foci of an ellipse. Then draw the graph. Look at problems 5.2.33-38.
- Find the center, vertices, and foci of a hyperbola. Then draw the graph. Look at problems
- Find the equation of the parabola satisfying the given conditions. Look at problems 5.1.15-20.
- Find the equation of the ellipse satisfying the given conditions. Look at problems 5.2.27-32.
- Find the equation of the hyperbola satisfying the given conditions. Look at problems 5.3.7-10.
- Solve the system of non-linear equations. Two parts. Look at problems 5.4.7-54.
- Use the discriminant to determine whether the graph of the equation is an ellipse, a hyperbola, or
a parabola. Look at problems 5.5.9-18.
- Find the polar coordinates of the point. Express the angle in radians. Look at problems 5.6.15-22.
- Convert the rectangular equation into a polar equation. Look at problems 5.6.39-48.
- Convert the polar equation into a rectangular equation. Look at problems 5.6.49-58.
- Graph the polar equation by plotting points. Then check your work using a grapher. Look at
- Find the polar equation of the conic with a focus at the pole and the given eccentricity and
directrix. Look at problems 5.7.39-48.
- Graph the plan curve given by the set or parametric equations and the restriction for the
parameter. Then find the equivalent rectangular equation. Look at problems 5.8.1-20.
Points for each problem
- Some of the problems are directly from the text.
- There is a take home portion of the exam. The take home portion is worth 30 points and will be
due the class period after the in-class exam.