Study Guide: Chapters 1 & 2
None of the problems are directly from the text that I am aware of. However, many of them are
very similar to the problems stated above with some of the numbers changed.
- Use absolute value notation to describe a situation. Look at problems 55 - 60 in section 1.1
- Identify the field property of real numbers being described. There are five parts. As an
example, the problem might state: Factors in a multiplication problem may be regrouped. You
should write "Associate property of multiplication".
- Write in simplified radical form. Look at problems 31 - 42 in section 1.3
- Completely factor. Three parts. Look at problems 51 - 80 in section 1.5. One of these
problems is a calculus type problem, but no negative exponents.
- Solve a rational equation. Look at problems 37 - 52 in section 2.1
- Application problem. Be sure to include a definition statement. Look at problems 47 - 61 in
- Solve a quadratic equation by completing the square. You must complete the square to get
credit for this problem. Look at problems 35 - 44 in section 2.3
- Use the quadratic formula to solve an equation. Look at problems 7 - 27 in section 2.4
- Write the complex conjugate of a number. Then find the product of the number and its
complex conjugate. Look at problems 27 - 34 in section 2.5
- Find the quotient of complex numbers. Look at problems 49 - 56 in section 2.5
- Solve a quadratic equation for x. Write answers in standard form. Look at problems 57 - 64
in section 2.5
- Find all solutions to a higher order polynomial. Look at problems 1 - 19 in section 2.6
- Find all solutions to a radical equation. Look at problems 27 - 43 in section 2.6
- Find all solutions to a rational equation. Look at problems 53 - 62 in section 2.6
- Find all solutions to an absolute value equation. Look at problems 63 - 70 in section 2.6
- Write an inequality to represent the given interval. Look at problems 1 - 4 in section 2.7
- Solve the inequality and give the answer in interval notation. Two parts. Look at problems 1 -
33 in section 2.8
- Application problem involving quadratic formula. Definition statement is already provided.
Look at problems 73 - 81 in section 2.3