Math 122 - Chapter 12 Study Guide
- Know the tests for symmetry for rectangular and polar coordinates. Six parts.
- Definitions: Know the definitions of the conic sections. Four parts.
- Convert polar coordinates into rectangular coordinates
- Know how the eccentricity determines the conic section Three parts.
- Transform the polar equation into rectangular coordinates
- Express the given equation in polar form
- Identify each conic section or degenerate case by inspection. Nine parts.
- Sketch the curve in polar coordinates. Four parts
- Find dy/dx and d2y/dx2 at the given point without eliminating the parameter.
- Calculate the arclength of a polar curve
- Find the area of the region described in polar form. Two parts.
- Sketch the ellipse and label the foci, vertices, and endpoints of the minor axis.
- Sketch the hyperbola, and label the vertices, foci, and asymptotes.
- Rewrite the conic section in rectangular coordinates.
- Problems 3, 5, 6, and 8 - 14 are directly from the textbook
- There is a take home portion of the exam. The take home portion is worth 30 points and is
due by 1:00 pm on Thursday, May 6.