Math 117 - Chapter 6 Study Guide
- Make a hand-drawn graph of the exponential function. Then check your work using a grapher, if
possible. Look at problems 6.1.5-17.
- Describe the translation from a basic exponential function. Your translation should be something
like "left 3", "up 2", or "reflect about the x-axis and up 5". Five parts. Look at problems 6.1.19-34.
- Convert the exponential equation into a logarithmic equation. Look at problems 6.2.17-26.
- Convert the logarithmic equation into an exponential equation. Look at 6.2.27-36.
- Give the exact value of each logarithmic expression without using a grapher. Look at problems
- Evaluate each logarithmic expression using a grapher. Round to four decimal places. Two parts.
Look at problems 6.2.37-50.
- Use the change of base formula to evaluate the logarith. Round to four decimal places. Look at
- Describe the translation from a basic logarithmic function. Your translation should be something
like "left 3", "up 2", or "reflect about the x-axis and up 5". Three parts. Look at 6.2.57-64.
- Determine whether each statement about properties of logarithms is true or false. Four parts.
Look at problems 6.3.72-78.
- Use properties of logarithms to expand each single logarithm into the sum, difference, and/or
constant multiples of logarithms of a single quantity. Assume all variables represent positive
values. Three parts. Look at problems 6.3.17-24.
- Use properties of logarithms to combine many logarithms into a single logarithm and simplify if
possible. Three parts.
- Solve the exponential equation algebraically. Give exact answers, leaving logarithms in the
answer if necessary. Two parts. Look at problems 6.4.1-24.
- Solve the logarithmic equation algebraically. Give exact answers, leaving exponentials in the
answer if necessary. Two parts. Look at problems 6.4.25-40.
- Use a grapher to find the approximate solution(s) to the equation. Round to three decimal places.
Look at problems 6.4.41-49.
- Some of the problems are directly from the text.
- This is a take home exam. It is due the day of the final exam.
Points for each problem